Hormonal balance in general and testosterone levels in particular are very susceptible to many factors. Alcohol is one of them. And it’s possible to tell for sure that alcohol and male health feature zero compatibility. Drinking too much alcohol is fraught not only with overall health and behavioral problems, but also with endocrine function impairment. Your T levels will suffer in the first turn.
Moderation Is above Anything Else
Nevertheless, it’s worth noting that small amounts of alcohol can’t harm the man’s body. They can be even beneficial for health. For example, a glass of organic red wine stimulates the nervous system, increases sex drive, improves penile blood circulation, and gives a long-lasting erection without interrupting testosterone production. While the body is able to cope with moderate alcohol intake, heavy drinking is dangerous for all the body systems, including the endocrine system.
Excessive alcohol consumption activates the mechanism for fat storage. It becomes possible because T levels plummet, while blood sugar levels elevate. As a result, this leads to substantial increase in insulin secretion. And insulin itself has a direct impact on fat accumulation and weight gain.
Too much drinking also lowers the levels of vitamin B and zinc in the body which are very crucial for testosterone synthesis. In addition, the lack of vitamin B and zinc negatively affects metabolism, especially if the man has unhealthy eating habits. That’s why for normal T levels and high metabolism it’s important not only to limit alcohol intake, but also to adhere to a well-balanced diet rich in vitamins and micronutrients.
Heavy drinking causes hormonal imbalance by not only decreasing T levels, but also lowering dopamine and increasing serotonin. Alcohol also affects the biochemical processes in brain. As a result, the feeling of hunger becomes uncontrollable. And a person overeats every time when drinking too much alcohol. The weight gains are inevitable in this case.
In addition, alcohol is usually extremely high in calories. But it belongs to unnourishing beverages. It means that your body will get nothing except unwanted pounds and impaired hormonal balance.
Decline in Male Fertility
By reducing testosterone production, alcohol also negatively affects sexual activity and fertility in men. Everybody knows that testicles produce testosterone. But under the influence of alcohol, testicular tissue destroys. T levels drop. And, hence, sperm quality decreases because it is not produced properly. In particular, sperm characteristics, such as sperm motility and sperm morphology worsen. Abnormal sperm is useless for conception. If the situation doesn’t change, this may lead to a decline in male fertility or even infertility.
Some amount of testosterone is synthesized by the adrenal cortex. But alcohol has a deleterious effect on the adrenal glands. Liver also suffers from alcohol. Thus, it begins to produce enzymes which destroy testosterone.
Gradually, excessive alcohol drinking not only kills male fertility, but also reduces sex drive and makes erections weak. In addition, the men can face difficulties with reaching orgasm.
If the man doesn’t cut alcohol consumption, erectile dysfunction may finally develop as a result of testosterone deficiency.
Male and female sex hormones (testosterone and estrogen) are available in both the man’s body and the woman’s body. The difference is only in the levels of these hormones. The mentioned hormones are antagonists. Thus, when T levels in men start reducing, estrogen levels rise. This causes the development of gynecoid obesity in men. The first fat deposits form in the abdominal area. Abdominal fat is dangerous because it contributes to the conversion of testosterone into estrogen. Also, adipose tissue cells produce the hormone leptin. When the levels of this hormone elevate, testosterone secretion in the testicles plummets.
Excess estrogen in the men’s body changes the men’s appearance. Particularly, facial hair growth slows down, mass muscle decreases, male breast tissue enlarges, and hip size increases. The men with gynecoid obesity caused by the lack of testosterone have pear-shaped body. The man turns into the woman.
By the way, beer, which the majority of men adore, is the most insidious alcoholic beverage that leads to gynecoid obesity development.
The Bottom Line
Alcohol is a very harmful substance for the man’s body. The impact of heavy drinking elicits the body’s defensive reaction in the form of testosterone deficiency.
Adverse Affects Of Alcohol On Men’s Health
Alcoholism being an addictive type of drug dependence is characterized by craving, loss of control, physical dependence, loss of control. The increased use of alcohol affects men’s health both physically and psychologically.
Statistics indicate that men are likely to be four times alcoholics than women. Alcoholism is a life-threatening problem that that develops after the repeated use of it. It leads to death specially after causing disastrous affects on kidney and liver, brain deterioration and internal bleeding. There are adverse affects of alcohol on men’s health leading to various health diseases and shortening the life span of the individuals.
– Alcohol in men can cause impotency. It increases the estrogen levels in men affecting the sperm development. It also has adverse effects on the levels of the hormone.
– Alcohol abuses causes brain damage and leads to destruction of brain cells. A toxin damages the transmission of nerve impulses in the nervous system. It causes chronic damage manifested both physically and psychologically in the behavior of the person. Physically it is manifested through numbness of hands and feet and in blindness.
– Psychologically it affects the men’s health mentally by causing intellectual disabilities, confusion, impaired learning and a condition known as delirium tremens in which the person experiences anxiety, trembling, rapid pulse and hallucinations.
– Alcohol causes liver disorders. It damages the liver causing liver hepatitis, an inflammation of liver. Symptoms include nausea, fever, jaundice, or yellowing of skin, tenderness, abdominal pain, and mental confusion. Hepatitis further leads to chiriosis causing liver failure, liver cancer, and death.
– Alcohol causes chronic inflammation and gastrointestinal problems. The inflammation of the lining of the stomach leads to ulceration, which disrupts the digestion of the food. Perforation of stomach and intestine interferes with the absorption of vitamin B. These infections are associated with poor diet malnutrition leading to diseases like pneumonia, kidney failure and pancreatic.
– Alcohol leads to cardiovascular problems. Excessive damage leads to high blood pressure damaging heart muscles and putting you at an increased risk of cardiac arrest and failure.
– Excessive alcohol causes sexual problems affecting men’s health mentally. The most common effect is erective dysfunction in men disrupting his sexual performance.
– Alcohol is bad for diabetes patients. Alcohol prevents the release of glucose from your liver and increases blood sugar levels. Diabetic people already taking insulin to lower blood sugar should avoid alcohol to prevent themselves from further deterioration.
– Alcohol increases risk of cancer. Chronic use of alcohol leads to cancer of esophagus, larynx, colon, and liver.
Apart from these, there are other complications and adverse affects of alcoholism on men’s health, which also affects his family largely.
• Domestic household abuse, which can lead to divorce, self-harm, and violence
• Poor performance at work affects men’s health.
• Increased risk of drunken driving leads to accidents and arrest.
• Increased susceptibility to accidents and injuries
• Increased susceptibility to murder and suicides
Alcohol intake affects men’s health mentally. Excessive intake causes depression, anxiety disorders, personality disorders, and other mental disorders shortening the life span or leading to mental disability. Steady drinking can lead to increase risk of developing dependence on alcohol and causing adverse affects on men’s health.
Health and legal problems prompt treatment of alcohol. However many counselors who teach in recovering from alcohol from different situation have triggered its use. Treatment is beneficial if the person himself cooperates and gives his best. Alcohol ism leads to sedation affecting thoughts, emotions, muscles, and other orgasms of the body making it life threatening.